CAST’s Training and Technical Assistance Team has created our first Anti-Trafficking Lawyering training – an online introductory course focused on how to represent survivors of human trafficking from a trauma-informed and victim-centered lens. With the growing need to provide survivors of human trafficking with representation, CAST’s Training and Technical Assistance Team seeks to provide legal practitioners fundamental skills in working with survivors.
This training is designed to provide legal practitioners with basic and practical skills to make sure they are prepared to represent survivors of human trafficking and the intersecting needs survivors face. Legal practitioners will learn introductory tools necessary to provide trauma-informed representation to survivors regardless of their area of practice.
In upcoming modules, attorneys will use these trauma-informed and victim-centered skills to focus on specific areas of representation such as immigration law or victims’ rights. This module will be a pre-requisite to attending future substantive modules.
Practitioners Will Learn:
- Session 1: Fundamentals of victim-centered representation including power-dynamics and working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Session 2: How to create trauma-informed screening and assessment tools to identify trafficking survivors and their legal needs.
- Session 3: Basics of victims’ rights as well as how to implement victims rights’ into practice. Practitioners will also discuss ethical implications in working with survivors from a trauma-informed lens.
The 3 session, online class will be over the course of 3 days in a single week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Course sessions are 1.5 hours long.
In addition to participating in the live webinars, the sessions will require additional time reviewing the pre-work. The pre-work is necessary for participation in the live sessions, as there will be activities to review the content of the pre-work. Estimated time for pre-work per session is 60 minutes.
Webinar dates (all sessions start at 10 AM PST/1 PM EST and run for 90 minutes)
Participants register for all sessions at once. Participation in a prior session is a prerequisite for attending a later session.
SPACE IS LIMITED TO 40 ATTENDEES
Attendance is limited to licensed attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives only.
(Due to limited space, we are not accepting paralegals, legal assistants, law clerks, or law students at this time.)
Training cost: Free!
- Participants will be asked to use both web cameras and mics for breakout groups in the live sessions.
- Pre-work and files will be shared on Google Classroom. This requires you to have a Google Login
7.5 CA MCLE Credit Approval Pending
*Participants must attend all sessions and complete all pre-work to receive a certificate of completion and/or MCLEs. (Check your State Bar for MCLE reciprocity rules).
Course Date and Registration
Dates: April 19, 21 and 23 at 10 AM PST/1 PM EST
Registration opens March 11, 2021 at 9:30 AM PST/12:30 PM EST